Center of Excellence
|Faculties | Graduate Schools | Institutions & Research Centers | Schools | Vocational School | Management | Center of Excellence|
Center of Excellence
The Center of Excellence is a high level research unit that initiated activity under the auspices of the Founding Rector Dr. .
With the initiative and contributions of the Founding Rector Dr., the Center of Excellence is designed to serve as a bridge between the projects and research centers. Center of Excellence is devoted to promote advancement, leadership and excellence in the pursuit of all areas of research through the most advanced research centers within its structure.
The following Research Centers are affiliated with the Center of Excellence
- Applied Artificial Intelligence Research Centre
- Architecture-Design-Planning Research Centre
- Art and Design Research Center
- Communication Research Center
- Cyprus History Research Centre
- Cyprus Research Centre
- Cyprus Sleep Center
- Genetics and Cancer Diagnosis Research Centre
- Innovation and Information Technologies Research Centre
- Institute of Environmental Sciences and Herbarium
- İrfan Günsel Research Centre
- Knowledge Management Research Centre
- NEU-IBM Advanced Research Centre
- Near East Institute
- Rauf Raif Denktaş Research Center
- Societal Research and Development Center
- Strategy and Energy Policies Research Centre
- Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials Research Center
- Tourism Research Center
The Center's overall goal is to be the driving force in bringing together the accomplished, talented and creative scientists who are committed to promoting excellence in research via interdisciplinary studies.
Another goal of the Center of Excellence is to configure whole accumulated data obtained through dynamic research activities and promote furthering multidisciplinary collaborative studies that target greater achievements.
Since leading edge, revolutionary technology comes as the result of creativity, vision, talent, dedication and teamwork, the Center of Excellence is dedicated to establishing multidisciplinary cooperation in research and developing interaction at scientific level in gathering the best possible applications. This specialized Center also aims to conduct world-class research towards setting the standards concerning many different issues.
The main principles of the Center of Excellence
- To determine the priority issues of our country which are developing in the line with the science of world and promote the scientific potential to come together to conduct collaborative studies leading to scientific production through creativity and innovation,
- To support distinguished research in the fields determined by the research centers affiliated with the Center of Excellence and provide all opportunities to conduct research towards making sound worldwide and contribute to the global science through original outcomes,
- Scientific production, excellence and to be the leading gear of distinguished research are the cores of the Center of Excellence. The Center is committed to following transparent policies concerning its activities. Self-assessment is the basic key for accomplishment and to take it further,
- The Center of Excellence represents the general and functional research capacity of the Near East University. The Center targets to move NEU's research strength and scientific respectability to the upper levels on national and international scale,
- To provide education and training opportunities for both experts and public on required issues,
- To contribute the development of the scientific level of the ongoing graduate studies that carried out at the Near East University and to provide support for enhancing the quantity and quality of the researchers needed for scientific development in our country,
- To provide the Near East University with contribution to enhance scientific cooperation opportunities with the most prominent international organizations, so as to facilitate receiving more share from national and international support programs, and ensure more productive and efficient use of the current research infrastructure and financial facilities,
- To coordinate the relations between the application and research centers, research and analysis laboratories and similar units available in the structure of the Near East University. To ensure the common use of the research and development opportunities among these units and centers and to make the necessary arrangements to overcome bureaucratic hurdles,
- To provide programs concerning entrepreneurship, project support, intellectual property rights and licensing; to organize national and international scientific meetings such as workshop, congress, panel, seminars, and etc.,
- Team work for a common objective contributes to the highest level of achievement. To this end, the Center of Excellence determines the personnel needed for teamwork and provides them with opportunities to receive training in the country and abroad.
- The Center of Excellence is a unit where ideas are processed to get a scientific product. It takes part in all stages of this process including research and development, innovation, technology transfer, patenting and licensing,
The Chairperson of Center of Excellence
The Center of Excellence is chaired by Prof. Dr. Nedime Serakıncı who is also the Chairperson of the Genetics and Cancer Diagnosis Research Center.
"The Center of Excellence involves different areas of disciplines and organizes them into clear and compartmentalized areas known as research centers to carry out research more effectively and productively. The Center of Excellence is committed to enhancing accomplishment and quality by ensuring cooperation amongst the research centers within the structure of the Near East University. Each area of Center of Excellence is decomposed into smaller and, therefore, more digestible units for more efficient research and outcomes. These small research groups can build up small houses even apartment buildings. The Center of Excellence combines these building blocks to build up skyscrapers" said Prof. Dr. Nedime Serakıncı.
Prof. Dr. Nedime Serakıncı, lecturer of Faculty of Medicine and Head of Medical Genetics and Medical Biology, promoted to 9 from 13 in the rank of her relevant field.
Head of Medical Genetics and Medical Biology, and Director of Center of Excellence of Near East University Cyprus, have been academically referred in her field by 1565 people due to her studies carried out between 1999 and 2012, and her rank in her field raised to 9 from 13 in the world literature.
According to press info released by the Directorate of Press and Public Relations Office, Prof. Dr. Nedime Serakıncı stated that this achievement is the result of enthusiasm, endurance and determination in scientific life, and support of infrastructure and successful team of the foundations that she has been working with.
Serakıncı also emphasized that her studies, that lasted several years and centred on human mesenchyma stem cells, carried out at the Near East University and results indicated that such kind of cells can be used as guided missiles in cancer treatment, and this achievement has significant role in the increase of her rank in the world literature. She also pointed out that the major aim of the Center of Excellence is gathering up the successful and prominent scientists and provide opportunities to carry out multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary studies and support such kind of studies throughout the world.
Prof. Dr. Serakıncı said that the basic aim of Center of Excellence is gathering the knowledge and experience, and unite them to reach to greater outcomes. She continued, “We can build houses, even larger buildings as small research centres, however, if we unite our gains and achievements under one centre, the Center of Excellence, we can even build skyscrapers…”